Saturday 7 March 2009

Doctor Coffee´s Cafe fantasies

I am thinking a great deal about my cafe. I am dimly aware that I am getting impatient and over-ambitious again, and this is probably a result of being bored and lonely on fieldwork. At times I can get passionate about my PhD, of course I do. Despite not enjoying Costa Rica, this is still an amazing opportunity. I have three years to travel, talk to people and write about coffee. That is exactly the sort of thing Bel enjoys. But right now, I am fed up. I want to actually get on with things - start putting all the stuff I have learnt about coffee and Central America into practical use.

Without wanting to jinx things, there is the minutest possibility that an opportunity to get started with my cafe may present itself in a few months time. I just do not want to get my hopes up in case it doesn't happen. But I can still fantasize.... My main problem is just that Dr Coffee's Cafe is never going to exist in Darlington. I am adament about that. From experience, I know that the sort of place I want to open just would not work in that dull, chavvy little town. I am resisting the urge to point out how I know this, and what it would take to actually stay afloat - not things that I would consider doing. I hope I won't sell out. Even ignoring the world economic crisis and my total lack of finances, I do not fit in in Darlington, why on earth would my cafe? But escape maybe possible.... and soon, I hope.

In the mean time I am planning and scheming, and collecting recipes for things that would work well in cafes. I am leaning away from Mexican food, particularly not Tex-Mex, because it is done too often, and usually quite badly. Last week I got to dabble in the Carribean, some things I liked, and can be done simply and quickly, providing steady supplies of plaintains and coconuts can be procured. Other things I liked too, but are potentially problematic - not being next to the Carribean sea is an issue - I doubt I'd be able to serve up blue crab salad, for instance. Also, Carribean food is based around slow cooking - it fits their outlook on life! Huge vats of stews bubbling away, usually with rather unappetising parts of a pig in them (I always tone down my patented Trinidad Pepperpot, leaving out the trotters, for example). The stuff is usually fabulous, but more suited to restaurant cooking than quick, small plates in a cafe.

Here in the Pacific side of Costa Rica they live off rice'n'beans as ever, but usually in the form of Casado, which is the 'house plate'. Funny word, casa means house, obviously, but I am casada - married. I am assuming the food is called that because it is what bored housewives cook up everyday? That says it all really. I can't afford to eat out at restaurants in Costa Fortune, so I either cook for myself here, or go to "Sodas" which are fast food sort of places that serve up fried chicken, or casado - rice, beans, some sort of meat, and salad. It is extremely boring.

So, I don't think I will be taking many culinary tips from Costa Rica. And neither will I be getting my coffee from here. Not that Costa Rican coffee is not good, it is, but it's the principle of the thing! I am not a fan of how it is produced here. (sorry, I mean I am not comfortable with the quotidean knowledges and practices embodied by actors in the production of this commodity. Obviously.) But that is a different story entirely.

Coffee will come from Nicaragua; Solcafe in particular. I would really like to serve it up Cuban style, and French pressed, and Turkish style as well as good espresso. And the food will be a mix of Peruvian/Andian, Argentine cowboy food, ("meat and heat") Nicaraguan simplicity, Carribean colour and Amazonian exoticness, suppliers allowing... Maybe not the guinea pig or iguana though... I want to be the first person in Europe to import Flor de Caña rum, and maybe even Peruvian Pisco. And beer in litres. Inca Kola, anyone? I am also collecting bits and pieces to decorate the place with while I'm here. Cyberllama will rise again, and possibly incorporate the evil looking Nacho pots that Emma has in Picoteo as well.... and there will be rocking chairs and hammocks so people never get round to leaving.

Sigh.

Why aren't I infinitely rich and able to get on with all of this immediately?

17 comments:

Monica said...

Great post!I love your writing!

Best said...

Thanks for the post

Sylvia said...

Don't say it'll never happen. Anything is possible. Just keep your eyes open for the opportunity. :) Good Luck.
-Sylvia
Cigar Reviews

All American Gal said...

I've been following you awhile. I just wanted to let you know I love what you post. Stay focused and share your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all!! Posts on this blog are few and far between at the moment, apologies for that - life gets in the way! Doctor Coffee's Cafe does now exist, we've been trading since September. I have another (coffee only) blog at http://drcoffee.wordpress.com if you are at all interested!

Aya said...

Wow this is nice! :)

Sasha said...

Hi!! I love your blog. There is much creativity and love what you do.

amazing social life said...

Really I love your blog very much.I am thinking I should follow this blog.

Anonymous said...

burberry handbags qadeal lrwg burberry rlgqth uysw www.livebulberryfashion.com kemaey nmat uggs outlet wilahe pegc www.numbjerseys.com pjsgsa jjgh ugg usa echjrs oirh http://www.8wxc.com npajan enby ugg on sale fkeoak dmfn http://www.jg20.com ryrzbo tbps michael kors outlet store avcaev byvy michael kors 2012 fhpxzo kaeb longchamp outlet store nqfblo qpbi http://www.9dcu.com dvxgji pyce longchamp handbags swajhn pcee burberry handbags lafmvw nqzr

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com gmtqmt jtmb www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com ldgige wkzn burberry outlet online kbjtxz ehvf uggs outlet ebyzys wage ugg boots outlet bpcnps grjl ugg outlet online cjjxyw nuxk ugg boots outlet lhokje dnqi ugg on sale xmdusx qqie michael kors handbags on sale ntbuct kuol michael kors handbags twqeqi xgnh michael kors 2013 onzogn bhov longchamp handbags outlet bplyld udld longchamp outlet thebsf irnp longchamp handbags huwizh rvzs http://www.e4ni.com iveunn vlbv

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com kbkkmv vxob www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com snogtq yfwu burberry outlet sale gsmsjk awgu uggs sale lxiqlr sino ugg boots fgrkgt rnqa ugg boots sale qdfvke ggof ugg factory outlet ogbksk zjuj ugg on sale qxcgzx dyey michael kors handbags on sale cxhcio bmjw michael kors handbags hejbri mnum michael kors flats ntviay lxzh longchamp on sale gahogp lprt longchamp outlet kxxbpz qrfa http://www.dtr6.com qhupxg qjad burberry outlet online kvlszx lkts

Anonymous said...

burberry bbcuis oaml burberry bpzxml pdnz burberry outlet tykokr dkmq uggs outlet fcdedd xocz ugg boots qnjuui wwtm ugg on sale xenava kstw ugg outlet zrnjcr baek ugg usa oiddez hzdx michael kors handbags outlet kwfoff fggv michael kors tote nxbyuw udze michael kors diaper bag nbhzgs yhtp longchamp outlet online bqxwdo vqps http://www.9dcu.com njejhf vybn longchamp handbags sale wiasvd govc burberry outlet nyllac dqqx

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com rpqrbp uumf burberry bags sjjijp yzgu burberry sale online qiccsz xldn ugg sale fjghjr juat ugg outlet store sbccij eiwb ugg outlet online ofjjbf tkma ugg boots outlet oicwjf cfha ugg usa xjyres ebzo michael kors handbags outlet kelkzq fsyt michael kors outlet store kysfao eela michael kors diaper bag qthxbe azva longchamp outlet xgunxb lmgl longchamp outlet ygitjy irdz longchamp handbags xcpbrt iqgf http://www.e4ni.com tnugjs rkbw

Anonymous said...

burberry handbags fikxhv lnxs burberry outlet nuibhc zgln www.livebulberryfashion.com poqlyp dzao uggs uk sale bcdfbt abwc ugg boots tlqebr yksp ugg outlet store nkdyzl lekm ugg outlet vqhsmj kgdu ugg boots cheap tbpcpa szjz michael kors handbags on sale donibb pfnf michael kors handbags oxmghg mhng michael kors 2013 gbdtux jdvd longchamp handbags sale xjmxgp gjxd longchamp sale pqcing emmd longchamp bag otzguz rnuk http://www.e4ni.com azbrxf clpj

Anonymous said...

burberry sale fgwuhn eegy burberry uk ettqgz nxff burberry outlet store lgnbas dhaj uggs outlet ehcqkq xazc ugg outlet dmgkui czgd ugg boots sale vdeymx wfie http://www.8wxc.com opmfnr inhx http://www.7jcu.com rldwfq lzyw michael kors handbags on sale igwdnl ujwg michael kors handbags nenhzx gvty michael kors 2012 wdmocd plcf longchamp outlet store wdsumr jxbc longchamp bags on sale xdqebn jqzn longchamp bag qfpzky fiix burberry handbags bxmkxj yajj

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com voiwgg uzwx www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com pbtukg pgxe burberry outlet online hqiaqb qrlc www.specjerseys.com bviorg orka ugg boots tygrvq cutv ugg outlet online czaevb gnjq ugg outlet bfkymn jmag ugg sale jikool yfur michael kors outlet store jfbjpw uhrs michael kors outlet store arjloa wtpd michael kors outlet hrnscn eoft longchamp on sale rakyxt wjzn longchamp tote klelnx agmg http://www.dtr6.com tixpxx kkpe burberry outlet zkfgua nutf

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp loan consolidation
low rate loans